Windy point to otira


The Westport shuttle dropped me in Christchurch for six wonderful days at Diamond Harbour with my sister and her partner. I pored over maps, bought new twill shorts at Rangiora, enjoyed home-grown vegetables and of course, had a grand Christmas.

Maybe my favourite thing was the boat/bus/bike journey I did with my sister from Diamond Harbour to Lyttleton to Christchurch. I adore cities where cars are a waste of time. 



The same shuttle dropped me back at Windy Point on 27 December. I walked parallel to Hope River to Hope Halfway Shelter for the night. 

Next morning I continued south in Hope Valley, 



every so often ducking back into the bush to chase orange triangles. 



Lake Sumner came alongside, 



and I turned west to cross and follow Hurunui North Branch. I worked there in 1998-2000 and helped a pilot who crashed a Cessna to walk out. Happy times! 



A dragonfly joined me briefly. 



I continued as far as Hurunui Hut where two local lads came in for a look-see and two Czechs walking north doubled my tally of walking Czechs so far. 

The weather packed in overnight so it was a wet walk up to Harper Pass (960m). I had lunch at the bivvy below the pass, prettily surrounded by lacebark. 



Flaxes, chinochloas, dracophyllum, olearia and ranunculus combined to make a handsome garden near the Pass. 



Once I'd breasted the Pass I could see the Taramakau River. 



and once I'd dropped 450m to get down by its side, I could admire red lichens on the boulders. 



I had a couple of easy river crossings before reaching Locke Stream Hut, 10 hours after setting off.

I broke my plastic takeaway spoon mixing dinner. Never mind, I can whittle chopsticks. Overnight, rats popped in and ran along the floor and rafters, keeping me company. 

This morning I crossed back to the true right and walked as far as the turnoff to Kiwi Hut before re-crossing. That was it! Scary stuff done! Shortly after that, whilst looking for a safe crossing at Oteahake River, I found a stainless steel spoon lying on the stones. In a lifetime of walking I have never found a spoon in the bush before. 

All along the river it was completely different, West Coast, forest. Emergent rata, dark coniferous creatures that I couldn't identify loomed in the drizzle. 



The final section was the Flood Track on the true right of the Otira. It goes for 5km to Morrison's Footbridge and is non-maintained eroding frightening track in rain forest. Yes, no river crossing needed, I grant you. But as I unclipped the pack to try to get back up off the tree canopy I'd fallen down (not a typo) I wondered if a river route mighn't be preferable. 

I reached the State Highway about 9 hours after leaving the hut. Soaking wet. Pretty tired. For a while, I had no clue which direction to take to Otira even though I'd planned all this with those Christmas maps. Eventually I reasoned it must be east and I walked 5kms to Otira where I have a bed at the pub tonight. Comforted myself with whitebait. 



The publican tells me the High Water track was storm damaged two years ago and gets no work. Seems bizarre for a track that serves to keep people safe from Otira River. 








Popular Posts