Porirua to ngaio


I used the Capital Connection train to Waikanae and changed to the Kapiti Line for Porirua. So I was walking out of Porirua a little after 8am. I was immediately intrigued by this billboard for education.

The route goes uphill past Te Wananga o Aotearoa to join Raihia Walkway and out to my first view back to Porirua.



I crossed a sheep and beef farm, 



and then went down hill into Spicer Forest



before joining Ohariu Valley Road. There were lots of horse farms, a pretty old hall, this pop-up plant stall, 



a graveyard with no church, 



and an impromptu place to stop. 



It was the nicest road walk yet. 

Ohariu joins Rifle Range Road and that joins an old coach road, called Old Coach Road. 



The road winds uphill and Johnsonville came suddenly into view, uninspiringly. 



Some more climbing and I reached Mt Kaukau, where telecommunication towers hummed in the wuthering height. 



There is an enormous tower in this picture! 

Now the route joined the Northern Walkway, through tough wind-shorn woody plants



and eventually I could see the harbour.


By now I was getting close to Ngaio where friends of friends had kindly offered me a bed. So I rang ahead and met my host on the road down into the valley. 

Now I know how to walk back from Wellington if I get caught up in an earthquake. It bugged me the whole time I worked there! 












Popular Posts