Whangarei Zero Day


Cell 8 in the old cop shop is wonderfully quiet, I recommend this place. Thick walls, great decor, nice host.

I wandered out for a bus ticket to Waipu to restart tomorrow, post my warm pants and binoculars home, and get a new limb on my glasses (fixed using duct tape). Paid $3 at the Hospice op shop for rainpants, not for rain but for when I wish I hadn't posted the bulky heavier warm ones home.


At noon the Hatea River bascule bridge opened, and the jawbone "fish hooks" became mobile sculptures, something I have never seen in Europe. 

The Quarry Art Centre sounded interesting so I went for a look


Nothing to see here folks so I walked 1740m up and over a bushy hill to visit Quarry Subtropical Gardens. That's when I understood how beautiful the Te Whara forest is. No comparison. 


Walked back to town and got food organised for the next few days. Bought flakey tvp to try with a sachet of tuna. My bivvy bag, sleeping bag and footwear are dry again. Must be time to go. 




Popular Posts