Ocean Beach to whangarei


Yes, bye bye Ocean Beach as seen from up the hill at dawn this morning. And hello, a volcanic range clothed in coastal broadleaf forest. Bream Head. 

It was full of birdsong, and I had lots of time to appreciate that as Te Whara track took five and a half tiring hours of upping and downing. 

Finally it really was downhill, time to miserably contemplate how to get to Whangarei. Not for me hanging out at a wharf for a random boatie heading for Marsden Point on a Thursday afternoon when I had seven dollars in cash left on me. 

Just as I exited the forest, what should I see but a DOC truck parked at the boot wash station. There really is a genie on my side. I explained to the rec guy that he could have my pack while I walked on to Taurikura Bay store, had a drink, and waited for him so I could get a lift to Whangarei. 

And that, dear reader, is what happened. I am posting this from a cell in the old cop shop in town converted to a backpackers and I am not walking anywhere tomorrow. After twelve days, I'm taking a rest. Zero day. 





Popular Posts