Mangawhai to Pakiri


It was a wrench leaving Mangawhai Heads just as the boats were heading out to fish this morning. 

The walk from there to Mangawhai took ages, partly because I took a wrong turn, ending at a historic tavern by the water. So I stopped to buy an apple. 

A woman came over to me and said, "would you like to come home for a cup of tea and I'll give you a ride back to the Trail?" Miracles do happen. I explained any tea and sympathy would undo my resolve but a lift, now that would be truly appreciated. 

And that is how I skipped kilometres of hot dusty road walking and arrived fresh as a daisy at the south end of Te Arai beach. May the gods bless Sandy, my chauffeuse. 



By rights, I should've walked a couple of kilometres of that, but don't worry, I did have 12 km of Pakiri Beach in front of me. 



Terrific. No wind, soft waves, nobody else at all. One of my brothers shepherded at Pakiri 30 years ago, and I remembered a big scary beach. It was a pussycat today. 

I found a cabin at the campground, a hot shower, and bought 1 Gb to post this update and let NOH know all's well. 

The next day or two probably involve rain, mud, and no connectivity until Puhoi. I might see if there is a bus link from there to Waiwera, to avoid a chest high river crossing. 

Popular Posts