Huntly to ngaruawahia


Duh. The Huntly power station uses coal or gas to heat water from Waikato River to make steam to drive turbines. It can supply 31% of NZs electricity needs. And NOH reminded me coal mining was important to Huntly. Suddenly I understood something I read on a shop wall. 



Today's goal was, walk to Ngaruawahia, via Hakarimata forest. A pou resembling a putorino welcomed me after 6 or 7 kms on the road.



The initial uphill had me singing stairway to heaven.. 



but mostly, it was a hellish tangle of roots. 



I did see my own maunga, Te Aroha,(dead centre) and even Moehau at the tip of Coromandel peninsula. Taupiri, mountain of immense significance to Tainui, is the peak in left foreground. 



At the south end of the range hundreds of steps, with lots of people puffing their way up, led out along a pretty creek and under this handsome carving. 




Now it is wine o'clock at my sister's house. I will get a lift back to Ngaruawahia tomorrow to walk to Hamilton. 

Popular Posts