Working around closed forests


When I walked into Kaitaia my first stop was Mussel Bar, so I could sit down and figure out my next moves. 

On my list was, get a new washer for the gas stove. I was pointed at Stannhake Engineering, terrific people. 


A man at the counter said he had the exact same unit at home and the washer was fine. It will be the o-ring, confident. There it is, their o-ring wall, back left. Total charge for new ring, fitted, tested outdoors with my gas cannister? Fifty cents. 

Next on the list, a knife. My Mercator vanished and NOH will feel no surprise. They seem collectable! It happens so often he got my last couple engraved. So thanks to charming op shop ladies, I have a wee kitchen knife for one dollar. 

Same women lamented the poor perception people have of Kaitaia. Maybe people were trying to buy maps from that fatuous berk at Hunting & Fishing. 

I have worked out what to do to get past Herekino, Raetea, Puketi and the also-closed Land Corp block. Today I am taking the Kerikeri bus but getting off at Waipapa to rejoin the Trail. Easy strolling to Waitangi then Paihia. 


I saw this bark pattern as I swigged water at the roadside on the walk to Kaitaia yesterday. Moth? 


Popular Posts