Shelter System


Not having the hide of an ox, I am planning to carry a bivvy bag, foam mat, sleeping bag and raincoat to protect me from The Nature.

My bivvy bag is an old friend. It is made of goretex and weighs 1.6kg. It is roughly double the weight of the lightweight tents most people use. I favour it because it can fit on a skinny goat track, doesn't flap in wind, is very warm, and is unobtrusive.

The foam mat slides into the bivvy bag and weighs 453g. I have no idea of its R rating (heat loss factor) but it is probably lower than inflatable mats. I dislike the noise those ones make and detest having to squash them in the morning.

The sleeping bag weighs 1.5kg and it will be discarded at the end of the hike (ie I plan to trash it).

When I'm not sheltering in the bivvy, I'll be relying on a
raincoat. It is brand new and weighs 630g. I have finally weaned myself off japara (oilskin, too heavy).

To carry my luxurious nest I am using a Deuter pack that weighs 1.6kg.

Yes, I have spent 5.8kg of my base weight on being warm and dry.

Popular Posts