Ferryman over [to] the sticks


The vessel is a Scorpion, tender of choice for super yachts. And we were his first clients, a water taxi folded and this chap stepped in. He explained it is a tide-dependent voyage, getting stuck is a real possibility. Waikare Inlet is beautiful... some oyster farming, some dope growing and some interesting birdlife.

We stepped off close to Waikare School and I paid a visit to the urupa next door. 

A family tending a grave there taught me the tikanga - bring nothing in (though people keep wallets in their pockets now), and wash your hands as you leave. 

Then I hiked into Russell Forest along an access route for Maori land. Quite a bit of the trail is river walking... 

and the vegetation looks subtropical and lush. Today was the date the forest was re-opened after the 1080 operation. I saw 2 baits and one shivering joey tucked beside its dead mother. Pest control is an ugly business. 

Made much faster time than I expected, and popped out at this marsh. The conical hill in the background has clear evidence of a pa. 

Settled into another sh---y Road walk only to stumble over Sue's place, a refuge for walkers. Actual bed! And it is going to rain so I couldn't be happier. Plus, WiFi! Definitely not the information black hole I expected. 





Popular Posts