Base weight plus rations


Now for the big reveal. Will my full pack be light enough for long distances?

Yes, happily. The base weight is 10kg.

Keen and fast walkers could squeeze it down around 8kg, but I'm a hedonist. Life without hot dinners did not appeal. 

If you have been keeping tabs on part weights so far, you might think I made an arithmetical error. In fact, I re-thought the sleeping bag and opted to buy a new one now to save 500g and reduce the space it was taking in the pack.

Rations for 5 days and one spare are shown in the photo. I budget 500g per day, and 1kg water on board at this stage of the season.

Breakfast will be a One Square Meal bar & coffee, lunch will be crackers with cheese and salami, raw almonds, tiffin will be oolong tea and a cookie and dinner will be soup, noodles or couscous with peas and sometimes tuna and dried fruit to finish.

Base weight plus food plus water totals 13.2kg. When I reach Ahipara the pack will be down to 11.5kg. Gym Te Araroa. 

Popular Posts