Sunday 23 September is Day One


There are two dabchicks (little grebes) on our pond tonight - it has just occurred to me that I might be walking away from their first nesting attempt here.

Actually, I'll be taking a bus away.  

To get to Cape Reinga without hitchhiking, walkers need to catch a bus from Kaitaia. Googling brings up tour operators, not bus companies. And the tour companies make a big deal about driving to the Cape along the beach.

I prefer to travel on State Highway One to the start point of Te Araroa, because I'd like the beach to be a nice surprise rather than a horrible shock. 

Also, I've never been to Cape Reinga and I want to see what the inland country is like.

I found a tour operator who varies the itinerary according to the tides and will be using the road for northbound travel from 23 to 25 September. I have reserved my seat - it is such a narrow window of opportunity.










Popular Posts