Scary monsters


When people learn I am having a go at Te Araroa this year,they usually say, "but aren't you scared?"

Nope. I'm scared of flying and earthquakes and public speaking and runaway horses but I'm completely relaxed about walking along at my own pace in the outdoors in New Zealand. 

It's a pity people have come to think their personal safety is at risk away from hearth and home. I blame the bad news reporting bias but maybe folks are just being realistic about how they'd cope if things go wrong.

Yes, I could get geographically embarrassed. I've been disoriented in the bush before (twice!)and been injured (twice). I've had to sit out weather bombs twice too. Each time, it was the iterative decision-making rather than the predicament that was stressful.

There be no bears, no snakes, and I'll walk miles not to cross a big river. 

Time is the currency of safety in New Zealand. And I'll carry a PLB of course!

Popular Posts