Rakaia River to Rangitata River


When I walked into Primo et Secundo in Methven for breakfast the proprietor said, "you're on the front page today". Sure enough some TA walkers made the Sunday paper, but what made me laugh is that I was on my way to walk between the two biggest gaps out there. Official gaps. A lot of people give up on the section between Rakaia and Rangitata Rivers, simply because they don't believe the experience will outweigh the hassle. 



Well, they miss very beautiful country. The route travels through huge tussock basins, 



past interesting rock formations (that featured in movies, I was told), 



and if you're lucky you will reach the old musterer's hut five minutes before the rain does! 



Next morning there is a river to cross dozens of times, then this charming side stream, then over Clent Hills saddle to the new view. 



A bit further to Mellish Saddle and the first view of several scree slopes to be traversed. 



You can see the wee track about one-third up from the bottom. 



Speargrass fills the damper slopes and the route went through a large colony of it! 



I spent that night at Manuka Hut and yesterday walked past Lake Manuka, Lake Emily and Lake Clearwater on my way to Potts River mouth. 



There I met another retired DOC person, cheerfully running predator trap lines. 



Black stilts have now bred on the Rangitata River bed, so it works. 

Popular Posts