Invercargill to bluff


Te Araroa takes a wetland path out of Invercargill so for a couple of early hours I was entertained by hundreds of waterfowl and a dozen fernbirds. Probably best place in the country to see fernbirds.


I sped along, unencumbered by Deuter. Just a sunhat, some almonds, an apple and hope. 

The trail uses SH1 for about 16km and I counted 70 trucks coming towards me. Felt like even more were heading for the port. A log carrier was in, and mysterious bulk loads came out of a fertiliser plant and a feed importer. Couldn't identify the nauseating smell.


I passed a Wyethesque chapel in a field and a mystery building with a maritime job to do.


By that stage I'd reached footpaths, maybe five hours from Invercargill.


Just kept walking till I made Stirling Point, right on midday. 


I set off on 23 September 2018 so the walk took 130 days. I wore out 3 pairs of boots, 2 pairs of gaiters, 4 pairs of Coolmax socks (merino socks all still in good repair), 2 pairs of polyprops, 2 woollen base layers and 1 pair of drill shorts. I never even considered filtering water. I solicited 4 car rides and accepted 8 more. I spent 20 nights in my tent, 30 nights in huts, and 80 nights in cabins, backpackers, or homes. I've taken 2679 photos and reached page 370 in Marcel's slow burner of a masterpiece. 

NOH, my friend Georgina and my brother Martin kept tabs on me for the locator beacon which, Allah be praised, is still mint. Thank you three, from my heart. 

If I learned anything worth sharing it would be, stop and offer a lift when you see someone walking with a load. The kindness can change an entire day, I now know. 

Finally, thanks for all the texts and emails of encouragement. They worked. 


Popular Posts