Tongariro crossing


Early today a shuttle transferred me to National Park to collect more people and go to Mangatepopo. Te Araroa would have hikers set off from the Ketetahi side of the Crossing but the tourism industry only serves people who walk the other way. Ergo, today I went NOBO again! The weather on Ruapehu and Hauhungatahi looked good, three cheers for forecasting models.


With my pack stashed at National Park and pockets full of trail mix and water, I set off at 0900hrs, with dozens of people ahead and behind me. Visibilty was good, but Ngauruhoe did disappear into clouds for a while. Temperature about zero, so the beanie and gloves and ($3) overtrou paid their way at last.


It was the second time Te Araroa has sent me over a lava field, this time in luxury. 


Red Crater alone is worth the climb. It erupted last in 1850 and is still active. There is a vent just above 6 o'clock in the photo, like a dragon's doorway. 


It was cold and demanding from Red Crater to Emerald Lakes, with loose tephra underfoot. Steam rose from lake edges and on parts of the track, and I quelled thoughts of magma roiling underneath. 


From the north Ngauruhoe revealed itself again and then the view opened right out. Fumaroles near Ketetahi


and lakes Rotoaira and Taupo came into view. 


No flowers yet in the alpine vegetation but wonderful warm colours.. 


... and then smart walking through a lahar zone in forest and down to the bus area. The walk took me 5.5 hrs (19.4km), with a couple of short rests. 

Rain on the menu again tomorrow, so I am stopping another night at National Park and friends are meeting me for coffee. It's a tough life. 









Popular Posts